Learn how to make a fun tile puzzle with just a few materials! Will you be able to solve your own mind boggling puzzle?
-craft/utility knife **Please have an adult handle the knife for you! Be careful!**
-markers, pencil crayons, paint, etc. for colouring
1. Cut out 2 squares of cardboard that measure 13cm x 13 cm.
2. On one of the two squares you just cut, use a pencil and ruler to draw out a square in the middle that measures 9cmx9cm.
3. Use a knife to cut out the square. Please be careful when cutting! Set the small square aside for now.
4. Take the two big squares and glue them together. You’ll end up with something like a picture frame. You can colour the square if you’d like!
5. Now take the small square that we cut out earlier. Trace the square on a piece of paper. Cut out the paper and glue it evenly onto the cardboard. It’s important to apply the glue evenly so the paper doesn’t lift or peel off later! Let dry completely.
6. Draw a design! It can be anything you want.
7. Turn the square around so you are looking at the back. Using a pencil and ruler, measure out lines at 3cm and 6cm. Do this vertically and horizontally so you end up with 9 little squares.
8. Use a knife to cut along the lines. You should end up with 9 little squares tiles.
9. Place the tiles into the big square from earlier. You will have to take out one corner tile to be able to slide them around. It doesn’t matter which corner you leave out.
You will have to trim down the edges on some of the tiles if they are too tight against each other and won’t slide nicely. Just take a few minutes to slide them around and see which ones need trimming. Remember to trim tiny bits off at a time so you don’t accidentally cut off too much!
10. Now you can slide the tiles around to scramble up the pieces and slide them around to figure out the puzzle. Have fun!