Learn how to paint this beautiful winter night scene! By using just some paint and a few brush techniques, you can easily recreate this painting. It makes a great gift or wall art for this winter.
-acrylic paint (yellow, blue, red, white)
-large flat brush
-small flat brush
-something to paint on such as canvas, wood, board, etc.
-paper towel or rag
1. Paint the background a dark colour. Here I am mixing blue with a small amount of red to create a dark blue/purple using a large flat brush. I am leaving a few brush strokes but feel free to do the background any way you would like. Let it dry.
2. Mix green and yellow paint together to make green. Using a flat brush paint a line to indicate how tall you want the tree to be. Start at the top of the line. Using flicking motions, flick your paintbrush at a diagonal to make the pine branches. Every time you make a flick apply less pressure at the beginning and end so that you end up having thinner, pointy shape with a fuller middle to replicate a branch. Make shorter flicks near the top and long ones gradually going downwards to create a triangle or cone shape for the tree.
3. Now you can add a bit more blue to your green you are currently using to make a darker green. Go over parts of the tree using the same flicking motion. Using a darker green will add shadows and depth. Continue building up the branches until you are happy with the results!
4. Using a smaller flat brush pick up some white paint. Holding your brush vertically, stamp and pat the white onto the tree to create snow. Think about how snow naturally falls on trees noting that snow usually rests on top of branches.
5. Add snow by mixing a tiny amount of water into some white paint. Hold your brush horizontally over your painting and tap your brush. Tapping your brush will bounce and splatter paint off the brush and onto your painting creating small dots like snow.
6. Use white paint to add snow on the ground or any other details you would like and you are done!