-black or dark coloured construction paper
-scrap piece of paper
1. Measure your scrap piece of paper to be the same width as your black construction paper. Tear the scrap paper along the top to be purposely uneven. This will make the northern lights look like they are “dancing” in the sky and gives it shape and texture.
2. Place the teared piece of paper on top of your black paper where you want the northern lights to be. Tape the scrap paper down if it helps keep it in place.
3. On another separate scrap piece of paper, grab a chalk pastel in whatever colour you want your northern lights to be in. Rub the chalk pastel onto the paper to accumulate powder pigment from the pastel. Pick up the powder with your finger.
4. Place your finger on top of the scrap paper, and slide your finger up dragging the powder.
Keep doing this with different colours and in different places of the paper. You can even layer colours on top of each other.
5. Add any details you would like such as trees, hills, or stars.
Annnd you’re done!